About JM Baker
It may be odd to see the use of initials for my name: JM Baker. But, over the years, it has been frustrating to see my name misspelled over and over. When we moved from Chicago to Charlotte, I contemplated changing my name altogether. I have also been known to change my name at the coffee shop just to avoid walking around with my name misspelled. So, despite my best efforts, I finally settled on JM Baker (my first initial and my middle initial to honor my grandmother who I adore)!
You might wonder what brought me to coaching – life, leadership and business. Well, we all have moments in life where we feel like we are out of balance. During those times, it can be challenging to see through the chaos and make the changes we desire for our life. I certainly can relate to these feelings as I have been there a few times myself. And, it took a lot of energy and strategy to pull myself out of the funk. I’d love to share my strategies with you!
Below are a few of life’s transitions that I have personally experienced:
- Moved across the state at the most inappropriate time (as some thought).
- Owner of a real estate company with my husband to closing shop in a tough market.
- Empty nester to kids again and back to an empty nester.
- Career changes from hotel to government to healthcare to entrepreneur.
- Financial victory to financial hardship to bouncing back again (with a whole new perspective).
- Continuous health and wellness lifestyle improvements.
- Retirement planning with specific goals in mind.
- Selecting a college and area of study (a few times).
- Corporate to remote working environment.
- Managing a team to working solo.
On a more fun and personal note, I get to be a loving wife to my husband (of more than two decades), mom to two amazing adult children and “Mimi” (aka grandma) to the most adorable grand babies! In my spare time, I enjoy kayaking, walking, tennis, traveling, reading, wineries and time with family and friends. My all time favorite place is simply the beach!
After appearing before the high school board, I was able to graduate in three years and graduated two months before my sevententh birthday. I then attended Robert Morris College in downtown Chicago. As a working mom, I earned my Bachelor of Business in 2002 and my Executive MBA at Olivet Nazarene University in 2011.
My career has encompassed work in the hotel, government and healthcare industries. You can learn more by connecting with me on LinkedIn.
Will we work well together? That is a great question to ask yourself because the foundation of a great coaching relationship centers around openness, trust and honesty. Below are my personality and strength assessment results so that you have an understanding of how I tend to look or approach life:
As determined by the StrengthsFinder Assessment, JM Baker possesses the following themes:
- Strategic: People who are especially talented in the Strategic theme create alternative ways to proceed. Faced with any given scenario, they can quickly spot the relevant patterns and issues.
- Developer: People who are especially talented in the Developer theme recognize and cultivate the potential in others. They spot the signs of each small improvement and derive satisfaction from these improvements.
- Relator: People who are especially talented in the Relator theme enjoy close relationships with others. They find deep satisfaction in working hard with others to achieve a goal.
- Futuristic: People who are especially talented in the Futuristic theme are inspired by the future and what could be. They inspire others with their visions of the future.
- Responsibility: People who are especially talented in the Responsibility theme take psychological ownership of what they say they will do. They are committed to stables values such as honesty and loyalty.
As determined by the MBTI, JM Baker possesses the following:
- ISTJ: Quiet, serious, earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Practical, matter-of-fact, realistic, and responsible. Decide logically what should be done and work toward it steadily, regardless of distractions. Take pleasure in making everything orderly and organized – their work, their home, their life. Value traditions and loyalty.